Wednesday 1 December 2010

Fifteen characters

My fifteen favourite characters from TV and film.
1. Anna from ‘This Life’ (‘The Beatles were boring … I smashed a bottle of wine … Graeme caught me taking coke in the toilets at work … etc’)
2. Rayanne Graff from ‘My So-Called Life’ (‘You see, my mother, she like claims that she breast fed me. But I just have serious doubts. I mean, you should see her boobs. They are so firm…’)
3. James St James in ‘Party Monster’ (‘You don’t even know your skrink from your skrod!’)
4. Holly Golightly in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ (‘If I could find a real life place to make me feel like Tiffany’s, why then I’d buy some furniture and give the cat a name!’)
5. Ignatius J. Reilly from ‘Confederacy of Dunces’ (‘The day before me is fraught with God knows what horrors!’)
6. Jack Reid in ‘REDS’ (‘When you separate a man from what he loves the most, what you do is purge what’s unique in him, and when you purge what’s unique in him, you purge dissent, and when you purge dissent, you kill the revolution and revolution IS dissent!’)
7. Helen in ‘A Taste of Honey’ (‘There’s a lovely view of the gasworks, and this wallpaper’s contemporary…’)
8. Harold in ‘The Boys In The Band’ (‘What I am, Michael, is a 32 year old, pockmarked, ugly Jew Fairy, and if I need to smoke a little grass before I can show my face to the world that’s nobody’s god-damned business but my own. And how are you this evening …?’)
9. Rebecca in ‘Ghost World’ (‘Mostly I just feel like poisoning everybody…’)
10. Louise in ‘Thelma & Louise’ (‘I’m in deep shit Jimmy. Deep Shit, Arkansas …’)
11. Leon Shermer in ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ (Yeah, I’ll see ya in my dreams …’)
12. Quentin Crisp in ‘The Naked Civil Servant’ (‘Why don’t you push off back to Hoxton before they find out you’re queer …’)
13. Miss Jean Brodie from ‘The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie’ (‘The magnificent Giotto frescoes, how triumphantly they vibrate with life, yours, Jean …’)
14. Alvy Singer in ‘Annie Hall’ (‘My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks’)
15. Celie in ‘The Colour Purple’ (‘You a low down dog is what’s wrong. It’s time to leave you and enter into the creation. And your dead body just the welcome mat I need…’)

No comments: